Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Take Shelter (2011) movie with Deaf Actress


TakeShelter (2011)
Director: Jeff Nichols

Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself.

Main character Curtis begins to have bad dreams and hallucinations about an impending story which turns people into zombie-like versions of themselves. Because of a family history of schizophrenia, he seeks medical help and counseling. Simultaneously, he begins rebuilding, and adding to, the storm shelter in the family’s backyard. The cost of the storm shelter is high especially for a working class family who has major medical bills coming due to their Deaf daughter’s Cochlear Implant surgery.

All members of the family use American Sign Language (ASL) and even use the term correctly. The mother signs more fluently while the father forgets signs and asks for assistance. The Deaf daughter is played by Deaf actress, Tova Stewart of Ohio. The young girl received the part after the film’s producer  reached out to the Ohio School for the Deaflooking for a young deaf female student. Tova’s parents are deaf.

Take Shelter premiered in January 2011 at the Sundance Film Festival.  It was also screened in May 2011 at the Cannes Film Festival, where it won the 50th Critics' Week Grand Prix.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How cool, I didn’t realize that there was an element of ASL in the film; I haven’t had the opportunity to see the film yet. That makes me smile; my family uses ASL quite a bit due to several of my family members needing to communicate with out hearing. Most of us can read lips at this point, but sign language is so beautiful; I love using it. “Take Shelter” is extremely intriguing to me especially due to the mind element. I’m currently working really hard traveling on business for Dish earning the money to go back to school for journalism. I watch many movies from Dish Online, which gives me so many resources to enjoy and practice for my future career. It’s far better than taking a nap in the airport.